The City Communications Office shares information about city services and programs. The staff works closely with city departments and the City Council to tell the city’s story. We inform residents and visitors using a wide variety of communications channels:
- This city website at KCMO.gov
- Follow us on social media, including Twitter @KCMO, Facebook at “City of Kansas City, Mo. Government” and Instagram @KCMOgov
- Read the latest news releases. Sign up for news releases, newsletters and other emailed information.
- Watch our city government channel, KCCG-TV2 (Channel 2), with coverage of City Council meetings, special events and original programming. Kansas City residents with cable access may watch KCCG or anyone may watch online.
- Watch videos produced by our Channel 2 team
- Read our magazine, called KCMOre, which we publish twice each year.
- We respond to requests for city documents filed through the Sunshine Law (also known as the Freedom of Information Act, or FIOA).
- Sign up for AlertKC to receive text messages to warn you of severe weather, public safety issues, broken water mains or closed streets in your neighborhood. We coordinate with our Emergency Operations Center and several departments to provide this service.
414 E. 12th St., Suite 2101
Kansas City, MO 64106
News Media Contacts
This list is intended to guide working members of the news media who need information and/or interviews related to City departments.
Please contact Chris Hernandez, director of the City Communications Office, with questions about City operations and overall issues. Chris may be reached at: Chris.Hernandez@kcmo.org, Office: 816-513-3474, Cell: 816-787-1507
An alternate email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other communications professionals and public information officers (PIO) are available as key contacts for these specific offices and departments:
Aviation Department – Joe McBride, Office: 816-243-3164, Cell: 816-719-0588
City Auditor – Douglas Jones, Office: 816-513-3303
City Clerk’s Office – Marilyn Sanders, Office: 816-513-6401
City Planning and Development – Beth Breitenstein, Office: 816-513-8829, Cell: 816-945-2560 (Development Plans, CPC and BZA Cases, Building and Zoning Violations, Historic Preservation, Area Plans, Census Data)
Fire Department – James “Jimmy” Walker, Office: 816-513-4638, Cell: 816-606-4238
Health Department – Michelle Pekarsky, Office: 816-513-6302, Cell: 816-719-3610
Mayor’s Office – Laura Swinford, Office: 816-513-6579
Municipal Court – Benita Jones, Office: 816-513-6711, Cell: 816-522-0167 (Court case information, courtroom camera requests, court stats, specialty courts, interviews with Municipal judges and court officials)
Neighborhoods and Housing Services – John Baccala, Office: 816-513-3202 (Code enforcement, Animal Health, trash and recycling, tow lot, Land Bank, regulated industries)
Parks and Recreation Department – Heidi Markle, Office: 816-513-7527, Cell: 816-335-5672 (Parks, community centers, boulevards and fountains)
Police Department – Media Unit: 816-234-5170
Public Works Department – Maggie Green, Office: 816-513-2612, Cell: 816-379-6562 (Bike lanes, streets, sidewalks, snow removal, street lights and signs, traffic signals, parking)
KC Water – Heather Staggers Frierson, Office: 816-513-0280, Cell: 816-674-0211 (Water, wastewater, stormwater, leaf & brush, household hazardous waste)