Beat the Cold
The City encourages residents to use these resources to help combat the chilly season.
Residents needing refuge from the frigid weather are welcome to warm up in public buildings, such as the City’s ten community centers, during regular business hours. Please call the center first as it may be closed due for snow emergencies. For a complete list of warming centers in Kansas City, please call the United Way at 211 or visit the State of Missouri’s comprehensive map.
- instructions on keeping safe in extreme cold (tips on dressing warmly, preparing your car, and much more),
- keeping food safe in a power outage,
- winter injury prevention tips including walking, driving and physical stress, and
- winter power outage help
You can also review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s severe cold weather tips.
Water Services lists simple steps that can save customers from expensive home repairs and damage from freezing pipes.
Follow these tips to protect your animals during extreme weather.
The KCPD advises you:
- Do not leave your vehicle running unattended. That is an invitation for thieves to steal it, and City Ordinance prohibits it.
- Call 911 if you are worried about the welfare of someone in this cold weather and have been unable to reach them.