Community Engagement University
Curious about how your Kansas City government works? Want to learn from City staff how to improve your community? The City’s Community Engagement University: a free, eight-week program designed to connect residents with government to build a better Kansas City.
Registration for the Spring 2017 session is now closed. Look for Fall 2017 registration to start in late August / early September with classes starting in September.
Why participate in the university?
- Gain a better understanding of how local government functions
- Participate and interact with knowledgeable staff to better learn and understand how City finances, operations, projects and services are developed, distributed and executed
- Serve as role model for community and neighborhood residents
- Help improve the quality of life for Kansas City residents
- Build a livable, sustainable community
- Learn about volunteer opportunities in city government
Class schedule and summary:
Eight* sessions beginning April 11, 2017: Sessions are from 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays weekly for the duration of the program in the same location.
Community Engagement University is a free, hands-on, interactive program for City of Kansas City, Missouri, residents 18 years of age and older. The sessions cover basic knowledge of the City’s functions and operations. Course materials will be provided during the first session. The class size is limited to the first 35 residents enrolling.
*Eight-weeks: In addition to the classroom setting for the scheduled sessions, participants may sign up for optional tours of various City facilities. Information about the tour opportunities, including the dates and times, will be provided during the first session.
Participants are encouraged to attend all sessions to get the most from the program. Participants need to attend seven of the eight sessions to graduate with a certification. Light refreshments will be provided.
- Local Government 101
- We Keep this City Clean
- We Keep This City Safe
- Dollars and Sense
- We Keep This City Healthy and Active
- We Build and Improve This City
- We Are in Your Neighborhood
While participants are encouraged to attend all sessions, they are required to go to seven of the eight to graduate with certification.