Introducing Compass KC, a new permitting system that makes it easier to do business with The City of Kansas City, Missouri online and on your schedule. Compass KC links city departments to provide a one-stop shop for residents and businesses, covering permits, plans, payments and more. The system is scheduled to go live in August 2018.
The Compass KC software will allow residents to apply for various permits electronically, eliminating the need to trek down to City Hall to pick up and pay for permits.
Using Compass KC
- How to register video
- Search for permits video
- Apply for plans/permits video * Please note you need to use the Internet Explorer browser with the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight downloaded to use the E-Review portal to submit plans for review
- How to use the dashboard video
- Read the Compass KC registration guide – pdf
- Read the Compass KC user guide – pdf
- View tips and tools for using the system
User Guides for Specific Permit Applications
- Homeowner Permit Guide – Use this guide if you plan to do work on your own property or home without a licensed professional
- Professional License Application User Guide – Use this guide if you’re a contractor applying for a Professional License
The average KCMO resident accessing Compass KC will also find many other practical benefits. Information stored by the city – such as code violations at a property, the zoning of a property, whether it’s registered as a rental – is already available but kept in various locations among different departments. Compass KC will combine the information and allow residents to easily find it, using mapping software.
This integration will make it easier for residents to do business with the City on their respective schedules, even outside of normal operating hours, and make it far less likely that KCMO staffers will duplicate efforts across divisions.
The following departments and divisions will use the Compass KC system in Phase 1:
- Planning and Development – Building permits, inspections scheduling, plan reviews, contractor licensing, etc.
- Public Works – Excavation, hauling and parking permits as well as traffic control, bicycle rack placement and event-related permits
- Regulated Industries – Visit the Regulated Industries web page for a list of permits
- Parks and Recreation – All park permit services, except the park event and film/photography permit services
- Fire Prevention
- Water Services
For general questions about the software, email CompassKC.