The Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court, Division 203, has exclusive jurisdiction over all domestic violence ordinance violations that are filed within the Kansas City limits. These cases are criminal in nature and carry a range of punishment of up to six months in jail. Domestic violence municipal ordinance violations include intimate partner violence, child abuse, child endangerment, violations of protective orders, stalking, and violence between family members. On average Division 203 handles 100 domestic violence cases per day.
In October of 2017, the Kansas City Municipal Domestic Violence Court earned the distinction of being named a Domestic Violence Mentor Court by the U.S. Department of Justice Violence Against Women Initiative. This designation was based the success of its Compliance Docket, a specialized docket established in January 2015 to supervise high risk domestic violence offenders.
Courts interested in learning about the best practices for holding domestic violence offenders accountable and keeping victims safe should contact Megan Sartin, 816-513-6714, Offender Accountability Coordinator, to learn more or schedule a free, interactive training session in Kansas City or at the site of the interested court.
Municipal Domestic Violence Court first court in Missouri and only municipal court in nation to be named a mentor court by the U.S. Department of Justice.
view online | view pdf | video
|Kansas City Domestic Violence Court: Assessing Risk, Addressing Needs
Judge Courtney Wachal and Megan Sartin discuss the Kansas City Domestic Violence Court, a federally designated mentor court that helps other jurisdictions improve their responses to domestic violence.
|Domestic Violence Mentor Courts:
These specialized courts serve as resources for courts across the country by facilitating peer-to-peer learning and providing examples of effective practices.
|Judge: Honorable Courtney A. Wachal
Domestic violence cases are heard Monday – Friday at 9 a.m.
The Compliance Docket meets Tuesdays at 2:30 p.m.
The probation violation docket for offenders that are not on the Compliance Docket is heard on Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
Victims and witnesses: Contact the Prosecutor’s Office.
- Batterer’s Intervention Programming: Healthy Boundaries, Northland Dependency Services, Midwest ADP.
- Victim Safety Services: Rose Brooks, New House
- Substance Abuse Services: Imani House, Heartland Center for Behavioral Change, ReDiscover
- Mental Health Services: Truman Behavioral Health, Swope Health Services, ReDiscover
- Employment Services: Connections to Success
- Emotional Fitness and GED classes: Dumas Group
- Transitional Living facilities: Benilde Hall
- Electronic Monitoring: Electronic Sentencing Alternative
- Law Enforcement/Warrant Squad: Kansas City, Missouri Police Department (Domestic Violence Squad)
- Indigent Legal Defense: Legal Aid of Western Missouri–Municipal Court Defense, Domestic Violence Protection/Family Law