Food safety education is a key element of the Food Protection Program. The Food Handlers Training Program offers a variety of classes for those who work in food establishments.
Who needs to receive this training?
The Food Handlers Training Program offers classes for two types of food workers:
- Food Handlers Training This training is the Kansas City, Mo., classroom course for anyone that works directly with the preparation or cooking of food.
- Food Safety for Managers/Owners Training This class is mandatory for all owners and/or managers of food establishments.
Yes. All payments must be paid prior to attending the class. Payments can be made by cash, credit (Visa, MasterCard), Debit, or money order. If you are paying in cash, please bring the exact amount; we are unable to change large bills.
- The Food Handlers Training Class costs $25 for a 3-year certification.
- The Food Safety for Managers/Owners Training Class costs $50 for a 5-year certification.
You may register online or call 816-513-6315 to register by phone.
*** Pre-registration 48 hours in advance is required for all classes. ***
Food Manager Training for managers and owners are offered once a month, on the dates listed in the online food registration form. Food Handler training is offered two to three times a month; contact 816-513-6315 for the next available class dates and times. Classes will fill up, so register early.
You may also take the Food Handler training online at your own convenience, but remember to bring your certificate of completion to the Health Department within 30 days of completing the online course, or you will have to retake the training.
You will need the following for class:
- Picture ID Current drivers license, passport, military ID, stat-issued picture ID, consulate and resident ID
- Cash, credit, or debit card for the cost of the class; if paying cash, bring exact amount.
- OPTIONAL: If you would like to print off the presentation and bring it with you to class, you can find that document below in either English or Spanish.
Child care is not provided, so please make arrangements in advance; children are not permitted in the classroom.
Class topics include:
- Demonstration of knowledge
- Assignment of responsibility
- Ready-to-eat food dating
- Consumer advisory
- Cold holding
- Scoreless inspection report
- Pasteurized eggs, certain recipes
- Time as a public health control
- No bare-hand contact with ready-to-eat foods
- Restriction or exclusion of ill food workers
- Best management practices for fats, oils and greases
A test is given at the conclusion of the class, and those who score 70 percent or better on the exam will receive a Food Handlers Card.
If you score less than 70 percent, you may retest at a later date free of charge. Please call and schedule a time to retake the exam.
We accept food safety training from the City of Kansas City, Mo., Health Department, Clay County Health Department, Independence Health Department and ServSafe. For questions regarding other training classes, please contact our office.
If you already have a plastic Platte County, Clay County or Cass County card, or a paper card from Jackson County or Independence, you do not need a Kansas City card; likewise, if you have a plastic Kansas City card and go to work in Platte County, Cass County, Clay County, Jackson County or the City of Independence, your Kansas City card will be accepted.
The Mid America Regional Council has provided an informational flyer about the Memorandum of Agreement between the six metro area jurisdictions in Missouri.