In addition to the regular Food Handler and Food Manager training classes held at the Health Department, the City of Kansas City, Mo., has partnered with two firms to provide online training for hourly food handlers. You only need to complete the training through one of them to be eligible for a food handler card.
Anyone who handles food prepared or served to the public should attend a food safety course. Under the current Food Code, food establishments may choose one of two options:
- A certified food service operations manager must be present in the food service area and on duty at all times of business operations, and must present a food manager permit or card to the authorized regulatory authority inspector at the time of inspection, or
- For food service operations where no manager is certified, 80 percent of required food handler staff shall obtain a three-year food handler card from the City of Kansas City, Mo., Health Department either upon completion of the food handler course through the Health Department, or upon the Health Department’s approval of a comparable food handler permit or card from another provider.
Establishments must select one of the two options above; they may not alternate between them.
Premier Food Safety – Food Handler Training Online
The Kansas City Food Handler Training Course by Premier Food Safety offers a fun, interactive, and concise program specifically designed to provide you with a great online training experience. Food handlers will learn quickly through videos, interactions, best practices, and real-life scenarios and will be able to immediately apply this knowledge to excel in the workplace.
You can complete the training from any computer that has an internet connection, with 24/7 access anytime and go through the course at your own pace, as the training program keeps track of your progress.
The online food handler course covers the following easy-to-follow topics which have been approved by the Health Department:
- Food safety basics
- Food hazards
- Practicing proper personal hygiene
- Purchasing and receiving safe food
- Equipment and utensils
- Preparing, cooking, and serving food safely
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Facility safety
- Best practices
Premier Food Safety’s online course is currently available in English, Spanish and Chinese.
The total cost for the training program is $25, which includes the online training, final test, certificate, and any Kansas City food handler card fees.
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-676-3121.
StateFoodSafety.com-Kansas City Food Handler Training Online
The StateFoodSafety.com is fully audio-visual, interactive and available in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Vietnamese and American Sign Language (ASL). Take the course online 24/7 at your own pace – logging in and out as you need. View their course demo.
The 90-minute StateFoodSafety.com Online Food Handler Course will help you learn and understand the basic principles of safe food handling as outlined by the Kansas City, Mo., Health Department:
- Food hazards
- Potentially hazardous foods
- Personal hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Preventing cross-contamination
- Waste and pest control
- Time and temperature regulation
- Safe hot and cold storage
The StateFoodSafety.com Online Food Handler Course is $25, which includes the Kansas City food handler card fee. Please present your Certificate of Training at the Kansas City, Mo., Health Department within 30 days of completing your training.
For both courses
If food handlers do not pass the test in two tries, they will be asked to retake the course for an additional $25.
Upon completion of the course, print out the certificate and bring it to the Health Department within 30 days of completing the course, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Please bring a photo ID with you that includes both your first and last name. Food handlers will need to answer several brief questions to verify that they are the person who took the online class before they obtain their food handler card. If the printed certificate is more than 30 days old, you will need to retake the online course.