The Kansas City, Mo., Health Department’s (KCHD) “Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program” provides regulations for minimum health and safety standards in rental housing in Kansas City, Mo. The program was brought forward by the community in the form of an initiative petition on Tuesday, August 7th, 2018.
For landlords, the initial application fee of $20.00 is due one-time at initial application, or when a change of ownership for the property has occurred; the new owner must submit an application. The Annual Permit Fee of $20.00 is due yearly by December 31st for each rental unit within the property. For example, an apartment complex with 10 units would pay a one-time application fee of $20.00, and the $200.00 ($20.00 x 10 units) permit fee with completed application. Only the $200.00 annual permit fee would be due subsequent years thereafter.
Please return the completed application with supporting documents prior to opening a new rental property or change of ownership or management. If an individual other than the owner completes the form, a letter from the owner delegating this responsibility must be provided.
Healthy Homes Rental Permit Application supporting documents include:
- Copy of Permit Holder’s photo ID
- Copy of Federal Tax ID number letter (if applicable)
- Application and Permit fee in the form of business check, cashier’s check, money order or credit card
- Proof of Property Ownership (e.g. Closing Disclosure Statement, Certificate of Recorded Deed, Real Estate Tax Valuation)
Additional Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program information:
- Healthy Homes Rental Permit – Application
- Healthy Homes Rental Permit – Application Addendum
- Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program – FAQs
- Health Homes Rental Inspection Program – Tenant FAQs
- Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program – Rules and Regulations
- Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program – Fee Calculator
The Rental Housing Advisory Board meetings are held the second Friday of every month from 9:30am-11:30am at KCHD, Suite 3200, and are open to the public.
For more information about the Healthy Homes Rental Inspection Program, please call (816) 513-6347.