The Construction Workforce Ordinance, codified 4/26/07, and effective 7/1/07 under Part II, Chapter 38, establishes a program that tracks utilization of minority, women, and resident workers on construction projects. On May 1, 2013, Chapter 38 was repealed in its entirety and replaced with Part II, Chapter 3, Article IV, Sections 3-501 through 3-527.
The Construction Workforce ordinance applies to all construction contracts the City entered into after September 1, 2007 that will require more than 800 construction labor hours and with an estimated cost that exceeds $300,000. The estimated Company-wide workforce participation goals for minority and female workers are 10 percent and 2 percent respectively.
The Construction Workforce Reports outline endeavors to fulfill the purpose of the ordinance and summarize the data captured in an attempt to evaluate current utilization of these groups in the local construction industry.
Staff is working hard to both monitor the data submitted by the contractors, as well as conduct random on-site inspections to help verify the accuracy of this information.
Additional goals include:
- Developing methods to increase recruitment, training and retention of residents, minorities and women on City Construction Contracts throughout the Kansas City MSA; and
- Promotion of Workforce Preparedness Programs and Apprenticeship Programs to increase the number of skilled minority and women employees in the construction trades; and
- Promotion of mentoring programs to assist such workers; and
- Establishing goals to encourage City Contractors to retain such workers.
- In addition, the City will be actively working with the community to establish and develop construction recruitment, training and retention programs. The section will assist contractors and employees in increasing awareness for job opportunities and recruitment sources.
The Human Relations Department has scheduled the Construction Employment Program Workshop Training for the last Thursday of every month from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. The Workshop schedule is as follows:
- Thursday, June 28, 2018
- Thursday, July 26, 2018
- Thursday, August 30, 2018
- Thursday, September 27, 2018
- Thursday, October 25, 2018
- Thursday, November 29, 2018
- Thursday, December 27, 2018
- Thursday, January 31, 2019
- Thursday, February 28, 2019
- Thursday, March 28, 2019
- Thursday, April 25, 2019
- Thursday, May 30, 2019