Contract Compliance / Prevailing Wage
Certification and Compliance | MWDBE / SBE / SLBE / SLBE – WSDEPS / Mentor-Protégé / Affirmative Action | Contract Compliance / Prevailing Wage Compliance | Section 3 | Construction Workforce
The Contract Compliance Section is responsible for monitoring, compliance, enforcement, oversight, training and assisting contractors with prevailing wage, Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (MWDBE), and Section 3 requirements. These processes ensure compliance with the Missouri Prevailing Wage Laws, MWDBE Ordinances and HUD laws. In order to assist contractors in meeting their requirements, the Contract Compliance staff must:
Monitor City construction projects
- The Contract Prevailing Wage Division is going green. We’re saying goodbye to paper reporting of certified payroll forms and welcoming in the digital age. Since May 1, 2014, all contractors submitting bids with wage requirements must use the eComply payroll reporting system.
- Ensure that construction workers receive prevailing wages by observing their work environment, which includes taking pictures of the work site, conducting worker interviews and auditing payroll reports
- Serve the Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (MWDBE) community by certifying that contractors on City-funded projects comply with the MWDBE program
- Protect low-income persons in the City by ensuring that contractors meet all federal, state and local Section 3 requirements
- Ensure that all City-funded construction projects have required postings, including an EEO statement, OSHA 300 log, OSHA safety poster #3165 or #2203 and a health and safety plan
Contract compliance training
The Contract Compliance Section provides training for current and potential contractors awarded City projects. The focus is on how to calculate prevailing wage rates to ensure accurate completion of City-certified payrolls.
Contractors’ payroll personnel attending the class receive detailed instructions on payroll information entry. Overtime schedules are explained, including how to calculate overtime and fringe benefits for various construction occupations. Class participants work through case scenarios, fill out all documents and create a mock submission to the City. Contractors have commented that they found the class to be very helpful and informative, especially the case work examples.
The Contract Compliance Section offers to:
- Train contractors during pre-construction meetings and training sessions
- Disseminate important information about the prevailing wage laws and other requirements, including reporting requirements for MWDBE, Affirmative Action and Section 3 guidelines
- Provide additional training for contractors desiring more information about prevailing wage and other requirements on City-funded construction projects
If you are a contractor and interested in attending training, please contact the Contract Compliance Section at 816-513-1836.
Provide technical assistance
- Assist construction workers by conducting interviews and responding to complaints
- Provide guidance and support services to contractors by promoting proactive monitoring, establishing a rapport and keeping an open dialogue between the City’s staff and the contractor
For more information and enrollment, contact the Contract Compliance / Prevailing Wage Section at 816-513-1836.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I file a prevailing wage compliant? How much should the contractor pay me for working on a City job? Get answers to these and other frequently asked questions.