SLBE Pre-certification Workshop
Attend a FREE monthly SLBE Pre-certification workshop. These workshops are offered on the first Tuesday of every month at 1:00 p.m., City Hall, 4th floor, Human Relations Department Training Room. For more information, or to register, please call 816-513-1810.
Advantages of Certification:
- Listing in the City’s MWDBE Directory which is updated daily.
- Access to free workshops, seminars, and training classes
- Regional Electronic notification of contract opportunities, RFPs, and RFQs
- The owner must possess at least 51% ownership, management, and control of the business.
- The owner must have the training/expertise to perform the work, and where required, have a license in his or her name.
- The firm must be independent and currently operating.
- Principal place of business must be within the seven county Greater KCMSA (consisting of Cass, Clay, Johnson, Jackson, Platte, Wyandotte, and Leavenworth); and
- The firm maintains full time employees in one or more of the firm’s offices within the KCMSA to conduct business or solicit business in the KCMSA the majority of the working time.
- The firm has transacted business more than once in the KCMSA within the last two years; and
- Firms are certified for 3 years and must submit annual updates, and notify HRD of any changes in ownership or control.
- The firm has annual gross receipts that, when added with those of its subsidiary or subsidiaries over three (3) consecutive years, do NOT exceed five percent (5%) of the applicable business size standard for the SBA General Contractor Classification NAICS Code 236220, or $1.675M (5% of $33.5M).
The certification process includes the following steps:
- Preliminary screening of Application and supporting documentation
- Desk Audit
- Financial Audit
- Field Audit
- Committee Review and Decision
It is very important to submit all supporting documentation promptly to ensure a quick decision. Once all paperwork has been provided and an onsite field audit has been performed, a certification decision should be issued within 30 days.