Civil Rights Enforcement Division
The Civil Rights Enforcement Division enforces the City’s Civil Rights Ordinance, which protects our citizens against discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations on the basis of race, national origin, sex, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status and gender identity. The ordinance is substantially equivalent to state and federal laws. If you feel that you have been discriminated against on any of these bases, file a complaint with our office, and an investigation will be conducted.
- HUD (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) – Housing complaint – The property must be located within KCMO proper.
- EEOC (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) – The employer has to be a business in KCMO.
- The Department of Justice – Covers all types of complaints (police, prison, etc.).
- Missouri Department of Labor –
- Receive complaints (housing) complaints from any address within the State of MO.
- Receive complaints (employment) outside of KCMO), ex. Grandview, Raytown, etc.
- MARC – Mid America Regional Council has information related to the Assessment to Fair Housing study our office and the Housing Services Dept. is working on. Their website has information related to the meetings and the activities related to this activity. They also have information related to homeless services and other housing resources available to the public.