Filing a Discrimination Complaint
If you believe, you have been discriminated against in employment, or public accommodations based on your race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or gender identity you may file a claim with the Kansas City Human Relations Department. To file a housing complaint based on your race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, please call HUD FHEO at 913-551-6993 or 913-551-6958.
The Human Relations Department offers citizens the opportunity to file an employment (English | Spanish) or public accommodations (English | Spanish) discrimination claim online. Using these forms, you may file a claim alleging discrimination in employment, or public accommodations. It is important that you fill out the claim form completely and accurately so that as much information as possible may be obtained. By completing the claim form accurately, this will allow the department to process your claim as quickly as possible.
Before filing a claim, consider the following:
- The alleged discriminatory act must have occurred within the last 180 days
- The employer or business establishment you are filing against must be located within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri
- For employment discrimination cases, the employer must have six or more employees
- For fair housing complaints, the property at issue must be located within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri
- Please do not file a claim with the Department if you have filed the same claim with another agency, i.e. EEOC, HUD, Missouri Commission on Human Rights.
- You must be 18 years old or older to file a complaint. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must file on your behalf.