Residential solid waste is combined garbage and trash generated by residents. We accept the following types of items as regular household trash:
- Food waste and packaging (some packaging can be recycled)
- Small appliances, toys and tools (donate re-usable items to charitable organizations)
- Rubbish associated with normal home maintenance
- Small automobile parts that can be bagged, such as spark plugs, brake shoes and shock absorbers
- Building materials bundled with twine or wire, including wood and wood products, plaster or wallboard
- Boxes of shingles, empty paint cans and similar small items generated during routine maintenance and minor home repair
- Boxes of stone and masonry
The following items require special preparation:
- Animal and human excrement: Must be double bagged (a bag within a bag).
- Sharp items: For the protection of sanitation crews, broken glass, needles and other sharp objects must be clearly labeled and wrapped in layers of paper or placed in a separate container.
- Hypodermic syringes should be clearly labeled and placed in a hard plastic container.
- Liquids: Trash must not contain liquids. Pour liquids such as soft drinks, water and juice down the drain.
There are some items that the City cannot collect as part of regular weekly trash collection. These items are listed with the suggested disposal alternative.
|Items weighing more than 40 pounds||Bulky item collection|
|Items longer than four feet in length||Cut in four-foot lengths or bulky item collection|
|Large quantities of construction debris (more than 500 pounds)||Call a private waste management company|
|Non-hazardous liquids||Pour down the drain|
|Hazardous materials – hazmat||Household Hazardous Waste Program|
|Car batteries||Household Hazardous Waste Program|
|Waste tires||Waste Tire Drop-off Program|
|Yard waste, including grass and other clippings, leaves and brush||Set up backyard composting or arrange private service or Leaf and Brush Drop-off Program|