Crime Prevention is not solely the job of the Police Department – there would never be enough officers to watch everything at once before it happens. But citizens and businesses, in partnership with the police and other government officials, can make it much more difficult for criminals to pull off their schemes.
All criminal activity requires three things: a desire to do the crime, an opportunity to commit the crime, and the ability/target to perform the crime. Without any one, the ‘tripod’ cannot stand.
- Neighborhood Watch is an excellent way to reduce the opportunity for criminals to ‘work’ where you live. Whether it’s a block club or a 3,000-home neighborhood association, our office can help you gain the skills you need to recognize and report suspicious activity.
- Live in an apartment? There’s a program for you too! Crime-Free Multi-Housing is a program your landlord can participate in (with your help, and that of other residents) to reduce calls for service and disruptive, damaging activity in dense living conditions.
- Have you seen illegal dumping? Our investigators can help get the dump site cleaned up, and use cameras and surveillance to deter future desire to repeat the problem.
- If you believe there are drug sales going on in your area, the Drug Abatement Response Team can investigate for problems, or you can report it to Crime Stoppers at 816-474-DRUG.
- For up-to-date information about crime trends and recent problems in Kansas City, visit CrimeReports.com or contact your Community Interaction Officer with KCPD.