New KCI terminal features listed
The City of Kansas City has specified that the new terminal must have certain features that keep and improve the existing convenience of the terminals at KCI.
The preliminary design recently unveiled by Edgemoor features a two-level curbside drop-off and pickup area which will be more convenient and less crowded for travelers. Also, waiting areas at each gate will have room for the increased number of passengers on today’s planes.
A list of new terminal features was developed through input from residents, airport users and the airlines. The Request for Qualifications/Proposals (RFQ/P) included these requirements:
- Design, build and privately finance a 750,000 square foot terminal
- Provides at least 6,500 spot parking garage
- Includes 35 gates, but is expandable to 42 gates
- Reflects the design approved by airlines a year ago
- Reflects the financing approved by airlines
- Utilizes local construction workers
- Pays prevailing wages
- Meets or exceeds the City’s MBE/WBE goals as well as workforce development or job training for local workers
- Ensures the City retains ownership and operation of the airport
- Includes 1% of the cost dedicated to the arts