FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 11, 2015
Helpful information on downtown street closures, parking and safety
The City of Kansas City, Mo., will welcome thousands of visitors this week to enjoy events such as the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship, Planet Comicon, and musical performances by the Chieftains and other artists. Please be advised that these events will impact traffic flow and parking in downtown Kansas City; please allow additional time to get to and from events.
The following streets will be closed to accommodate events as part of the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship:
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th St. and Truman Rd.): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 9, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 15.
- 14th Street (between Walnut St. and Grand Blvd.): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 9, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 15.
- Walnut Street (between 13th and 14th Sts.): closed starting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 10, through midnight on Sunday, March 15.
- Truman Road (between Grand Blvd. and Oak St.) will have lane closures starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 9, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 15.
In addition, Kansas City’s Big 12 Run will close the following streets on Saturday, March 14, starting at 10 a.m. and last until the conclusion of the race (roughly 12:30 p.m.).
- Grand Boulevard (between 8th and 12th Sts., and between Pershing and Truman Rds.)
- 8th Street (between Grand Blvd. and Holmes St.)
- Holmes Street (between 8th and 18th Sts.)
- Truman Road (between Holmes St. and Woodland Ave., and between Grand Blvd. and Oak St.)
- Woodland Avenue (between Truman Rd. and 18th St.)
- 18th Street (between Woodland and Highland Aves., and between Grand Blvd. and Holmes St.)
- Highland Avenue (between 17th Terr. and 18th St.)
- 17th Terrace (between Highland Ave. and Paseo Blvd.)
- Paseo Boulevard (between 17th Terr. and 31st St.)
- 31st Street (between Paseo Blvd. and Gillham Rd.)
- Gillham Road (between 31st St. and Pershing Rd.)
- Pershing Road (between Gillham Rd. and Grand Blvd.)
- Oak Street (between Truman Rd. and 9th St.)
- 9th Street (between Oak St. and Grand Blvd.)
Please observe caution and seek alternate routes during this period. For more information about the tournament, street closures and parking garage maps, visit VisitKC.com/Big12Basketball.
To accommodate Kansas City’s event goers, the City offers mass transportation and more than 40,000 parking spaces downtown. Information regarding parking can be found online at the City’s Parking page, which includes a list of parking garages maintained by the City. While you are downtown, try Kansas City’s two new parking applications (apps):
- The “Click and Park” website makes it easy to find and pre-pay parking in City-owned parking garages.
- The Parkmobile app allows visitors and residents to pay for parking online, without digging for coins at a meter.
The Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA) operates local and express routes, demand-response, bus rapid transit, paratransit, and vanpool services. The Main St. MAX line is offering frequent service for the Big 12 Tournament. Event goers can find out how to get from one place to another efficiently and inexpensively at www.kcata.org.
Additionally, during the Big 12 events from March 11- March 14, Kansas City’s taxi cabs will post a temporary taxi stand on 13th St. (between Oak St. and Grand Blvd). During this time, taxis will turn North on Grand Boulevard.
Media inquiries should be directed to City Communications Director, Chris Hernandez, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 816-513-3474.