FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 29, 2015
Save money during the City’s sales tax holiday, Aug. 7-9
The City of Kansas City, Missouri, invites residents to take advantage of a three-day sales tax holiday from Friday, Aug. 7 through Sunday, Aug. 9. During this time, shoppers who purchase certain items of clothing, shoes, school supplies and computers in Kansas City, Missouri, stores will not have to pay any sales tax.
To help reduce costs for families getting ready for the new school year, the following retail purchases will be exempt from respective sales taxes during the 2015 Back to School Sales Tax Holiday:
- Articles of clothing, shoes and cloth or other materials used to make school uniforms or other school clothing with a taxable value of $100 or less.
- School supplies not to exceed $50 per purchase. School supplies include any item normally used by students in a standard classroom for educational purposes, such as textbooks, notebooks, paper, writing instruments, crayons, art supplies, rulers, book bags, backpacks, handheld calculators, chalk, maps and globes.
- Personal computers with taxable value of $3,500 or less.
- Computer software items with taxable value of $350 or less.
- Computer peripheral devices not to exceed $3,500.
Some items will not be exempt from sales tax. These include watches, watchbands, jewelry, handbags, handkerchiefs, umbrellas, scarves, ties, headbands, belt buckles, radios, CD players, headphones, sporting equipment, portable or desktop phones, copiers or other office equipment.
For more information about the Back to School Sales Tax Holiday, visit http://www.dor.mo.gov/tax/business/sales/taxholiday. Click on Back To School Sales Tax Holiday.
Media inquiries and other requests for more information should be directed to Mari Ruck, Commissioner of Revenue, at 816-513-4990.