Oct. 10, 2018: Two years after receiving a $7 million allocation from the City Council to launch a three-phase plan to remake the 18th and Vine Historic District, a 24-page report was released to update the public on the remarkable improvements being made to one of Kansas City’s most treasured areas. Read the news release for details.
The City Council is considering Ordinance #180122, which is intended to provide the opportunity for more jazz venues to open in the Historic 18th & Vine District by allowing an exemption to the existing liquor code. The issue came up due to the interest of new restaurants and music venues moving to the district. Expanding the density area prepares district for future development opportunities and matches the momentum and interest the district is experiencing.
The proposed change would also allow additional liquor licenses in the district, without the restrictions currently applied due to the distance from a church or school. The change still allows churches and schools to voice their concern if a new business is not a good fit for the community, and keeps the approval process for a liquor license significantly intact.
The goal is to support a vibrant entertainment district at 18th & Vine and new economic development with world class retail, restaurants and music venues.
View the presentation to the City Council.
The City Council, unanimously approved Ordinance 160431, As Amended, for Phase I improvements to the 18th & Vine Historic District. The City is committed to restoring and transforming the District into a sustainable, viable, mixed-use entertainment and residential district. The first of three project phases include the following project list:
- Buck O’Neil Education & Research Center
- Black Archives
- American Jazz Museum Design – Blue Room Expansion
- Outdoor Amphitheater (Great Lawn) – Design & Construction
- 18th Street Streetscape – West to Lydia – Design & Construction
- 18th & Paseo NE Corner – Outdoor Access and Patio – Design & Construction
- Parking Lot, 18th & Lydia – Design & Construction
- Vine St Stabilization & Infill, Mixed-Use Redevelopment
- Stabilization of the Historic Boone Theater
- New 18th St Retail, Apartments
- KC Friends of Alvin Ailey Headquarters
- Transfer of 18th, Vine St Properties/Market Feasibility Study/Historic Preservation/Marketing/Site Development, Project Management
- 18th & Vine Gateway Plaza
The City has completed the acquisition of properties in the District and steady progress continues to be made on the stabilization of buildings in the 1800 block of Vine Street and the historic Boone Theater. Contractors will complete stabilization work at both locations in Summer 2017. The construction bid process is also underway for the Parking Lot project, located at 18th & Lydia, and work is expected to begin Fall 2017. The new parking lot will add 200+ spaces within walking distance to the District.
Want to visit 18th & Vine or learn more about projects there?
- December 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- November 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- October 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- August 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- July 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- June 2017 Improvement Projects Update
18th & Vine Improvement Projects Area Map
- Sign up for Project Update – Choose 3rd District News option
- Urban Youth Baseball Academy information