Electronic Plan Submittal
The City Planning and Development Department accepts electronic plan and document submittal (via software called ‘e-builder’) for the following permit applications:
- Residential: all projects for detached one and two family dwellings
- Commercial: all projects
- Land Development: all projects
- Development Management: future phase
–The submittal method selected for a project, whether electronic or paper, must be consistent for the duration of the entire project.
For questions regarding the electronic submittal process, please call 816-513-1500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Process for submitting electronically
To get started, complete the correct pre-application submittal form found below, and email to email@example.com. Note: Pre-application emails must be received prior to 4:00 p.m. to be processed that day and allow document submittal the following day.
Pre-application form (this form must be completed and submitted as a Word document):
Choose the correct form based on Log-In vs Express Review options. Note that Express Reviews are done ‘over-the-counter’ during a pre-scheduled appointment with the plans reviewer. Express submittals require an appointment made in advance, and payment of an additional express review fee. For information see IB115 Scheduled Express Review. For the express option, please make your appointment now by calling our Plans Review office at 816-513-1500.
– The pre-application submittal does not take the place of a permit application. A separate application appropriate for the permit type mentioned in Step 2 below shall be submitted at the time of plan submittal.
Select the correct form based on your project type:
- Residential submittals (detached one and two family dwellings only)
- Residential express submittals (detached one and two family dwellings only) Note: Express submittals require an appointment and payment of an additional fee. For information see IB115 Scheduled Express Review.
- Commercial submittals
- Commercial express submittals (minor projects only) Note: Express submittals require an appointment and payment of an additional fee. For information see IB115 Scheduled Express Review.
- Land development engineering submittals (public infrastructure; site disturbance permit)
Once the pre-application form is submitted, staff will be notified that an applicant is selecting the electronic plan submittal option. The project plan review permit type and project number will be assigned. An electronic folder specific to the project will be created based upon the new plan review permit type and number. The following day, the applicant will receive an email from e-Builder (email ‘From:’ line will read “DO NOT REPLY firstname.lastname@example.org”) with the subject line “FYI – Permit was processed”, and containing the following information:
- The plan review permit type and project number Without a completed application form the submittal cannot be processed for review.
- A project-specific email address to be used to submit electronic documents directly into the project folder
- A link to view contents of the project folder
2. Application/document submittal
Once the reply email from e-Builder is received, the project folder is now ready to accept the application. A complete application requires the following:
- A completed application form (see links below) – Note that without a completed application form the submittal cannot be processed for review
- Payment of the required plan check fee (credit card authorization form)
- All submittal documents including:
- Complete set of plans
- Complete set of specs (when applicable)
- Complete set of calculations (structural, parking, storm water, etc., when applicable)
- Any other supporting documents
The plans shall be submitted in a single pdf document. Do NOT submit individual sheets as separate pdf documents. If needed for large plan sets due to the file size, you may provide separate pdf documents for the different portions of the plans (e.g. architectural, structural, etc). Provide a separate pdf document for each supplemental document type (e.g. calculations, specifications, etc.).
Email the complete application package to the project-specific email address provided. Send all documents in a single email if possible. (The maximum size of any one email is 50 MB. If an email exceeds 50 MB, divide the submittal into multiple emails. Zip files are not accepted. For alternate submittal method for large files, contact Permits at 816-513-1500.) Note that this method requires the use of Internet Explorer as your browser. If submitting in multiple emails, please submit the application form in the last email — this will indicate that the full submittal has been provided.
After all of the documents have been submitted and accepted for review, the normal plan review process will occur. Do not submit revised documents in response to review comments to the project folder until completion of the first round of plan reviews. When plan review activities are signed off, the applicant will be notified by email if the review has been approved or not approved. A link to KivaNet to see the review comments will be included in the email.
Please use the e-Builder folder and email address for formal submittal documents only. Other informal and miscellaneous communication with the plan reviewers should be sent directly to the plans reviewer. The reviewer’s email address and direct phone number are found with their review comments in KivaNet.
Application forms to be submitted with electronic plans:
Select the correct form based on your project type. (NOTE: these forms require the use of Microsoft Word; if you do not have access to Microsoft Word, please contact our Permits Division at 816-513-1500 for special instructions.)
IB100 Requirements for Plan Review Submittal– detached one and two family dwellings (log-in or express)
IB110 Building Permit Plan Review Application – commercial projects (i.e. other than detached one and two family dwellings)
IB115 Express Plan Review Application – minor commercial projects (i.e. other than detached one and two family dwellings)
IB138 Checklist for Tenant Finish Plans Submittal – commercial tenant finish (i.e. other than detached one and two family dwellings)
IB159 Land Development Division Submittal – public infrastructure and land disturbance
Plan check fee calculators:
Include the following for resubmittals:
- A complete set of any document that was revised, with all revisions clearly marked. Do NOT submit individual plan sheets as separate pdf documents.
- A resubmittal form found here:IB100 Detached One and Two Family Dwelling Resubmittal Form
IB110 Part E Building Permit Plans Resubmittal Form – commercial projects (i.e. other than detached one and two family dwellings)
IB159 Part C Land Development Division Resubmittal Form – public infrastructure and land disturbance
- A response letter indicating the reviews being responded to, and providing comments in response to the reviewer’s comments.
- Any resubmittal fees due, as identified in the plan review comments, shall be paid at time of resubmittal. (Credit card authorization form)
Once all required review activities are completed and approved, applicants will receive an email notification that the permit is ready to be issued.
After the permit is obtained, the City-stamped permit set of plans is available in the project folder. The document name will be “(permit type) (permit number) Stamped Plans.”
Applicants are responsible for printing this City-stamped set of plans for use in the field by contractors and inspectors.
5. Permit issuance
Once the applicant has received email notification that the permit is ready for issuance, they may obtain the permit at the City Planning and Development Permit Office located on the 5th floor of City Hall between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. or by fax with the permit fax/email process form and credit card authorization form. A copy of the validated permit will be faxed/emailed to you upon completion of permit issuance.