KC Bike Plan
The City Planning & Development Department’s Long Range Planning and Preservation staff is currently working to rewrite the Bike KC plan along with multiple city departments, partner organizations and community members. The rewrite is in response to the 2016 Bike KC Performance Audit released by the City Auditor’s Office in December, 2016.
The purpose of this planning process is to establish a clear vision for bicycling in Kansas City, set specific goals and strategies, prioritize projects or project areas for the future, and to address funding and programmatic elements. Specifically, in response to the City Auditor’s report, the rewritten plan must:
- Frame the condition of cycling in Kansas City today
- Set a clear vision, set of goals & objectives
- Establish performance indicators to measure achievement
- Adopt additional designs & guidance for their use
- Establish bike routes that meet both transportation & recreation needs
- Conduct an evaluation of Bike KC routes ease of use
- Recommend specific network of bicycle facility types accommodating average users
- Update zoning & development code to support cycling goals
- Identify City agencies responsible for specific projects
- Provide initial cost estimates, project prioritization & funding
- Identify potential funding sources
- Incorporate implementation into resurfacing & CIP
- Describe educational, encouragement & enforcement initiative
The goal for completion of the updated Bike KC plan is Spring of 2018.
Kansas City is committed to improving its status as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists. Public Works is coordinating with the City Manager’s office to move forward with several bikeway projects currently planned or already underway. The rewrite of the Bike KC plan is a chance to elevate the profile of the plan and ensure that Kansas City is improving the mobility of its citizens and visitors.
KC Bike Plan Steering Committee Presentation
Sign up for public outreach meeting notices on your phone through AlertKC. Prefer email alerts? Sign up to get City Planning Notices sent to your email at kcmo.gov/subscribe
Follow @KCMOPlanning on Twitter for plan updates. #kcbikeplan
Joseph Blankenship – City Planning Project Manager
Wes Minder – City Manager’s Office Plan Implementation Manager
Petrina Parker – Public Information Officer for media requests