The Division is involved in the development of land from start to finish. Land development is predominantly concerned with addressing the project’s impacts to the number of land parcels, streets, storm sewers (stormwater management and conveyance systems), sanitary sewers, streetlights, street signals and site disturbance (erosion and sediment control on one acre and larger disturbances).
The Land Development Division is located on the 5th floor of City Hall and is open to the public for business from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can also reach the staff by calling 816-513-1500, option 2.
Commitment to Customer Service
The Land Development division performs the following services for our customers:
- Plan review of nearly all development applications submitted to the division for determination of impacts to, modifications of, or requirements for infrastructure improvements or modifications (except for water main extension, connections or modifications-related work).
- Permitting of infrastructure improvements.
- Plan review of building applications involving any significant change in the site and/or involving any perimeter street sidewalk, curbs and drive approach repairs or modifications (example: minor infrastructure) due to the site changes.
- Plat review of plats (example: major subdivisions and minor subdivisions)
- Other general services, including unimproved street drive approach culvert sizing reviews, grade ordinances related to developments, street and alley vacation reviews and related sewer relocation, street encroachments for street light pole banner, impact fee assessments, credits, and reviews associated with building permit application, development related easement acceptances and releases, and development agreements drafting and tracking results from Land Development Division conditions.
- Inspection of permits issued by the Land Development Division.
For a minor infrastructure permit
Walk-in or electronically issued permits for sidewalks, curbs, gutters and drive approaches.
Land Development Process Guides, Policies, References, and Standards
Use this interactive tool (pdf) as a guide for the land development process regarding policies, standards and regulation information. Each node is a stage in the process and includes a link to supporting documents and information available. Just click on the node of interest within the pdf.
Land development document library
Find supporting documents and applications for the land development division in the document library. More detailed search functionality is available within the document library.