Planning staff is currently preparing the Riverfront Industrial Area Plan. The City’s 18 area plans recommend strategies to help a community realize it’s long term vision for the future and provide a comprehensive framework to guide public decisions on land use, housing, public improvements, community development, and city services.
Area plans use proactive strategies (action steps which are outcome driven) and reactive guidelines (evaluation tools to guide future decision making). Area plans are guided by a range of Citywide planning documents including the FOCUS Kansas City Plan (the City’s comprehensive plan), the Trails KC Plan, and others. The area plan applies the broad citywide polices from these documents to a smaller area of the city, typically at a greater level of detail. Area plans sometimes recommend amendments to these upper level plans, but generally try to work within their policy framework.
The Riverfront Industrial Area Plan will:
- Recommend guidelines and strategies related to development, housing, neighborhoods, economic development, transportation, capital improvements, open spaces and urban design.
- Serve as the “plan of record” for the area and will be fully integrated with other adopted plans resulting in a single, coordinated policy for the area.
- Build on the foundation of previous planning efforts in the area.
The Riverfront Industrial Area Plan process is scheduled to run from approximately March 2017 to December 2017.
- North: City Limits & Claycomo
- South: Municipal Farms
- East: I-435 south of the Missouri River & City Limits north of the Missouri River
- West: I-35/I-29 and generally following the railroad tracks south of the Missouri River, I-435 & The City of North Kansas City north of the Missouri river
Public Meeting #1 – October 19, 2017
Riverfront Industrial Area Employer Survey – The survey identifies various concerns for businesses in the planning area.
Steering Committee Meeting #2
Steering Committee Meeting #1
Riverfront Industrial Area Plan Databook
As City staff prepares for upcoming public meetings, we’d like you to get involved. Sign up to receive public meeting notices through AlertKC on your phone. Prefer email alerts? Sign up to get City Planning and Development Department notices sent to your email at kcmo.gov/subscribe. Select the City Planning box option. Get involved now! Give us your thoughts on the Riverfront Industrial Area plan right now on the City’s virtual town hall KC Momentum.