The Shoal Creek Valley Area Plan is 1 of 18 geographic areas for which area plans are being prepared (see area map below). Area plans recommend strategies to help realize a community’s long term vision for the future and provide a comprehensive framework to guide public decisions on land use, housing, public improvements, community development, and city services.
Area plans provide both proactive strategies (action steps which are outcome driven) and reactive guidelines (evaluation tools to guide future decision making). These plans are used by the City and the community alike and become an element of the City’s Comprehensive Plan. Area plans are guided by a range of citywide planning documents including the FOCUS Kansas City Plan (the City’s comprehensive plan), the Trails KC Plan, and others. The area plan applies the broad citywide policies from these documents to a smaller area of the city, typically at a greater level of detail. Area plans sometimes recommend amendments to these upper level plans, but generally try to work within their policy framework.
The Shoal Creek Valley Area Plan will:
- Recommend guidelines and strategies related to development, housing, neighborhoods, economic development, transportation, capital improvements, open spaces and urban design
- Serve as the “plan of record” for the area and will be fully integrated with other adopted plans resulting in a single, coordinated policy for the area
- Build on the foundation of previous planning efforts in the area
The City Council adopted the Shoal Creek Valley Area Plan on December 20, 2017.
Steering Committee Meetings
Steering Committee Meeting 1 – January 26, 2017
Steering Committee Meeting 2 – April 19, 2017
Steering Committee Meeting 3 – May 31, 2017
Steering Committee Meeting 4 – June 21, 2017
Steering Committee Meeting 5 – October 25, 2017
Public Meetings Held
Public Meeting #1 – March 9, 2017
Public Meeting #2 – July 19, 2017
Public Meeting #3 – November 9, 2017
Area Plan Boundaries
- North: City Limits
- South: Pleasant Valley Road
- East: I-35
- West: The City of Gladstone & N. Woodland