The City Council approved Ordinance 170771 in early 2018 to clarify the guidelines for Short Term Rental (STR). The City spent over three years studying the best ways to balance the rights of property owners to rent out their homes, and the rights of neighbors to preserve and protect the character of their neighborhoods. After several public meetings and city council sessions the City has implemented the following guidelines for Short Term Rental.
The City will start accepting applications to register Short Term Rentals on May 8, 2018. The initial application process closes in August 8, 2018.
Short Term Rental Definition:
A short term rental is the rental of a property, a dwelling unit or portion thereof for a period of less than 30 consecutive days.
Do I Operate A Short Term Rental?
- You are not a STR if you meet the definition of household living as defined by 88-805-02.
- You are not a STR if you meet the definition of bed and breakfast as provided by 88-805-04-0 and if your property is zoned any B, D, or R district (excluding R-6, R-7.5 and R-10)
- You are not a STR if you meet the definition of hotel as defined in 88-405-04-0 and if your property is zoned any D district or B3, B4 or M1.
- You are not a STR if you provide lodging and board as defined by 88-305-12 accessory to a permitted principle residential use.
Otherwise, you might operate a STR and you will, at a minimum, need to register the rental. You may also need to obtain approval either administratively or by special use permit. To find out which application and/or supplemental form you need, click the FOR RENT sign.
Choose Your Application/Forms
- Application for Administrative Approval Complete and provide this form with fee, if the FOR RENT questionnaire told you to apply for administrative approval.
- Application for Special Use Permit Complete and provide this form with fee if the FOR RENT questionnaire told you to apply for special use permit.
- Application for Registration Complete and provide this form with fee if the FOR RENT questionnaire told you to apply for registration only. **NOTE, if you are required to apply for administrative or special use permit approval you will be required to also apply for registration but you should not do so until after you have received administrative or special use permit approval.
- Short Term Rental Supplemental Information form Complete and provide this form with any of the above-three applications.
- Mailed Notice Affidavit Complete and provide this form if you are required to mail notice to adjacent property owners.
- Owners Affidavit Complete and provide this form if you are applying for administrative approval, special use permit, or registration and are not the property owner.
- Adjacent Owner Consent Application – Use this form if you have a Type 2 STR that you intend to operate year-round only. An applicant for this type of STR needs to obtain consent from at least 55% of adjacent property owners.
Expected Time Frames for Approval and Registration
- For registration only, provide at least two weeks to receive confirmation.
- For administrative approval, provide at least three weeks for approval.
- For special use permit approval, provide at least 12 weeks for approval.
Due to the anticipated volume of applications, these time frames are estimates and the actual time frame may actually be considerably longer. Please provide yourself with extra time to accommodate the expected volume. We appreciate your patience.