The City Council approved Ordinance 170771 and Ordinance 170772 in early 2018 to clarify the guidelines and building code changes for Short Term Rental (STR). The City spent over three years studying the best ways to balance the rights of property owners to rent out their homes, and the rights of neighbors to preserve and protect the character of their neighborhoods. After several public meetings and city council sessions the City has implemented the following guidelines for Short Term Rental.
The City started accepting applications to register Short Term Rentals on May 8, 2018 and the initial application process closed on August 8, 2018. You can still register your property online on Compass KC.
Short Term Rental Definition:
A short term rental is the rental of a property, a dwelling unit or portion thereof for a period of less than 30 consecutive days.
Do I Operate A Short Term Rental?
- You are not a STR if you meet the definition of household living as defined by 88-805-02.
- You are not a STR if you meet the definition of bed and breakfast as provided by 88-805-04-0 and if your property is zoned any B, D, or R district (excluding R-6, R-7.5 and R-10)
- You are not a STR if you meet the definition of hotel as defined in 88-405-04-0 and if your property is zoned any D district or B3, B4 or M1.
- You are not a STR if you provide lodging and board as defined by 88-305-12 accessory to a permitted principle residential use.
Otherwise, you might operate a STR and you will, at a minimum, need to register the rental. You may also need to obtain approval either administratively or by special use permit. To find out which application and/or supplemental form you need, click the FOR RENT sign.
The following forms are available online through Compass KC
- Application for Administrative Approval – Use this if the FOR RENT questionnaire told you to apply for administrative approval.
- Application for Special Use Permit – Use this if the FOR RENT questionnaire told you to apply for special use permit.
- Application for Registration – Use this if the FOR RENT questionnaire told you to apply for registration only. **NOTE, if you are required to apply for administrative or special use permit approval you will be required to also apply for registration but you should not do so until after you have received administrative or special use permit approval.
- Short Term Rental Supplemental Information form – Complete this online with any of the above-three applications.
- Mailed Notice Affidavit – Complete and provide this form if you are required to mail notice to adjacent property owners.
- Owners Affidavit – Complete and provide this form if you are applying for administrative approval, special use permit, or registration and are not the property owner.
- Adjacent Owner Consent Application – Use this if you have a Type 2 STR that you intend to operate year-round only. An applicant for this type of STR needs to obtain consent from at least 55% of adjacent property owners.
Please access these necessary forms when applying through Compass KC
Adjacent Owner Consent Form and Affidavit
Short Term Rental Mailed Notice Affidavit
Owner Consent Affidavit
Supplemental Information Form
Notification Letters – If required, you should print, complete and mail via certified or registered and first class mail.
Neighborhood Notice Type 1
Neighborhood Notice Type 2 One and Two-Family
Neighborhood Notice Type 2 Multi-Family
Expected Time Frames for Approval and Registration
- For registration only, provide at least two weeks to receive confirmation.
- For administrative approval, provide at least three weeks for approval.
- For special use permit approval, provide at least 12 weeks for approval.
Due to the anticipated volume of applications, these time frames are estimates and the actual time frame may actually be longer.