The City Planning and Development Department has worked with Swope area stakeholders to define a clearer vision of the neighborhoods desired and strategies to achieve that vision. We have conducted surveys, held community and Steering Committee meetings, and gathered peoples opinions and suggestions.
Background and Orientation
Planning is the process by which a community assesses what it is and what it wants to become, and then decides how it can make that happen.
Area plans are designed to realize the community’s vision for the future and provide elected officials with a proactive framework to make decisions about housing, development and economic growth of the area.
Area plans provide a single, comprehensive plan for an area of the City and provide policies to guide public decisions on land use, infrastructure, public services and zoning.
The Swope Area Plan will:
- Recommend guidelines and strategies related to development, housing, neighborhoods, economic development, transportation, capital improvements, open spaces and urban design.
- Serve as the “plan of record” for the area and will be fully integrated with other adopted plans resulting in a single, coordinated policy for the area.
- Build on the foundation of previous planning efforts in the area.
How can you provide input?
- Attend public meetings. Documents from previous meetings are located here in the document library.
- Contact steering committee members.
- Share your ideas at the plankcmo.com site.
The planning area boundaries are:
North – Emanuel Cleaver Boulevard; Swope Boulevard
South – Oldham Road; Blue River Road; Blue River
East – Blue River; KC Southern Railroad
West – Paseo Boulevard