May 8, 2017, Public Forum
MINUTES OF THE
BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS PUBLIC FORUM
MONDAY, MAY 8, 2017
A meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners of Kansas City, Missouri was held on Monday, May 8, 2017, at Maple Woods Community College, 2601 NE Barry Road, Kansas City.
Commissioner Leland M. Shurin, President
Commissioner Alvin L. Brooks, Vice President
Mayor Sylvester “Sly” James, Jr., Member
Mr. David V. Kenner, Secretary/Attorney
Commissioner Angela Wasson-Hunt, Treasurer
Commissioner Michael C. Rader, Member
Commissioner Shurin opened the forum at 6:43 p.m. He introduced the Board and opened the forum to the public for comments. Commissioners Wasson-Hunt and Rader had excused absences. The following points were raised by the members of the public in attendance:
1) Forest Tyson: Mr. Tyson asked if there will be any opportunities for the public to voice their opinions and assist in the selection process after the finalists are selected. Mayor James stated that the Board will hold a meeting with the finalists. Community members will be allowed to attend the meeting and ask questions to the finalists.
2) Robert Jones: Mr. Jones had concerns about an ongoing land dispute.
3) Ed O’Herin: Mr. O’Herin stated the Board should prohibit any political influence on the selection process. The Board also needs to review the Chief of Police overtime policy.
4) Manny Abarca: Mr. Abarca stated the Chief should be consistent in direct and proactive community engagement. The Chief should treat all crimes equally. The Chief should focus on getting more officers in the streets, and every officer should be certified in Crisis Intervention. The new Chief should promote diversity, build trust, and be courageous.
5) Sheryl Ferguson: Ms. Ferguson stated the Board needs to engage the community leaders in the selection process as much as possible. Also, the dates and locations of the public forums need to be more accessible.
6) Jeremy Finn: Mr. Finn stated the Chief should focus on rehabilitation and education rather than drug charges.
7) Robin McDaniel Beck: Ms. McDaniel Beck asked for the dates and locations for the upcoming forums.
8) David King: Mr. King stated that the Board needs to supervise the Chief more thoroughly. The Chief needs to understand the importance of community outreach. Mr. King would like to see an increase in the Community Interaction Officer positions.
9) MJ Walker: Ms. Walker stated that the Chief needs to focus on hiring more officers in the City. The Northland needs more police presence.
With no other comments being offered, the forum ended at 7:32 p.m.
Board of Police Commissioners Minutes