TITLE: Detention Officer
DIVISION/UNIT: Patrol Bureau
REPORTS TO: Assigned Patrol Division – Desk Sergeant
PAY RANGE: $2,695-$4,570 per month
Job Objectives: (Purpose of the position.)
Responsible for managing all duties within an assigned Patrol Division Detention Unit. Process arrests, utilize intake procedures, conduct detainee release procedures, facilitate bonding of detainees, coordinate transfers of detainees, and manage the detainee population within designated detention unit.
Essential Job Functions: (Functions essential to attaining job objectives.)
- Process incoming arrests, which includes: searching, taking inventory of property, fingerprinting and photographing detainees.
- Monitor all detainees located in the detention unit and housed in detention cells.
- Interpret complex legal documents such as warrants, bond orders, and hit confirmations and make independent decisions based on application of department procedures.
- Ensure the accuracy of all data entered in the electronic corrections management system. Request corrections to fix errors as needed.
- Confirm the identity of all detainees and complete a criminal history check on all detainees prior to being released in compliance with Jake’s Law.
- Perform release procedures when a detainee bonds or is transferred to another detention facility.
- Responsible for handling money when taking bonds by utilizing all department approved procedures.
- Restrain and control belligerent/assaultive detainees.
- Perform related duties as required.
- This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended by the Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA); and the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA).
Job Standards: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions.)
To successfully perform the essential functions of the position, the incumbent must possess a high school diploma or a G.E.D, and must be at least 19 years of age.
Incumbent must have good verbal skills, data entry skills, and a basic command of Microsoft Office applications. TABE, MMPI, Data Entry test with 80% accuracy or better, and polygraph examination are required.
Incumbent must successfully complete physical defense training and be physically able and willing to restrain belligerent detainees as required. Incumbent will be exposed to verbal abuse and physical confrontations from detainees on a regular basis.
Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids from detainees exists. Detention Officers stand for the majority of their work day (up to 8 hours) and sit to complete data entry. Lifting up to 5-20 pounds is frequent, and heavier lifting of up to 200 pounds may occur during physical altercations periodically.
Job Location: (Place where work is performed.)
This position operates in a Patrol Division detention facility 90% of the time. Duties may also be performed at other locations and are not limited to: the mass arrest bus during events that generate increased arrest activity, protests, DUI checkpoints, warrant sweeps, public events and gatherings.
Equipment: (Machines, devices, tools, etc., used in job performance.)
- Keyboard/computer terminal/printer
- Fax Machine
- Police Radio
- Live Scan Fingerprint Device
- Mug Shot Capture Station
- Detention Video Camera System
- All approved chemical or mechanical means of control such as pepper foam, conducted energy weapon (CEW), handcuffs, shackles, wrist chains
- Cleaning equipment and supplies
Contact Mindy Davis at Mindy.Davis@kcpd.org to schedule an appointment. Applications will not be accepted without an appointment.