TITLE: Communications Specialist III
SUB-TITLE: Police Dispatcher
DIVISION/UNIT: Operations Support Division/Communications Unit
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Communications Unit
PAY RANGE: $3,155-$5,350 per month
Job Objectives: (Purpose of the position.)
To dispatch police officers for emergency and non-emergency calls.
Essential Job Functions: (Functions essential to attaining job objectives.)
1. Dispatches calls for service to officers; sets priorities for incoming calls. Stays aware of the situations and events on the air and in the field and draws logical conclusions within the parameters of department procedures and uses available resources to safely and effectively dispatch police services and/or coordinate other public safety services. Uses formalized procedural language, abbreviations, and codes to communicate on air.
2. Receives and disseminates information to and from officers, citizens, peer dispatchers, pertinent agencies, and businesses; accounts for officers’ and citizens’ activity and safety.
3. Coordinates auxiliary services, such as ambulance and fire, to assist officers on call.
4. Access warrant data, wants, and criminal history information by operating computer system terminal and relays information to officers over the air or other law enforcement agencies as required.
5. Informs supervisor of pertinent information.
6. Assists in the training of new dispatchers; may perform as acting supervisor.
7. Performs related duties as required.
Job Standards: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions.)
Incumbent must have the ability to work mandatory overtime assignments when necessary.
To successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the incumbent must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Prefer general knowledge of city geography. TABE, keystroke test, and MMPI test are required.
Position requires light lifting (5-20 pounds) two to three times a day, use of the telephone, and stationary work at a computer screen and keyboard. Incumbent will be required to type information into computer terminal while gathering and disseminating information over the telephone and/or computer screen.
Job Location: (Place where work is performed.)
Position operates in a standard office environment 100% of the time.
Equipment: (Machines, devices, tools, etc., used in job performance.)
• Computer screen and terminal keyboard
• Radio console and foot pedal
• Multi-line telephone and TDD
Contact Mindy Davis at Mindy.Davis@kcpd.org to schedule an appointment. Applications will not be accepted without an appointment.