TITLE: Communications Specialist III, Dispatacher
ELEMENT OF ASSIGNMENT: Communications Unit
STARTING MONTHLY SALARY: $3,155
Job Objectives: (Purpose of the position.)
To dispatch police officers for emergency and non-emergency calls.
Essential Job Functions: (Functions essential to attaining job objectives.)
- Dispatch calls for service to officers; sets priorities for incoming calls. Stay aware of the situations and events on the air and in the field and draw logical conclusions within the parameters of department procedures and use available resources to safely and effectively dispatch police services and/or coordinate other public safety services. Utilize formalized procedural language, abbreviations, and codes to communicate on air.
- Receive and disseminate information to and from officers, citizens, peer dispatchers, pertinent agencies, and businesses; account for officers’ and citizens’ activity and safety.
- Coordinate auxiliary services, such as ambulance and fire, to assist officers on call.
- Access warrant data, wants, and criminal history information by operating computer system terminal and relay information to officers over the air or other law enforcement agencies as required.
- Inform supervisor of pertinent information.
- Monitor security alarm systems.
- Assist in the training of new dispatchers; may perform duties as acting supervisor.
- Maintain reliable and predictable attendance. Must have the ability to work mandatory overtime, on-call, weekends and holidays.
- Perform related duties as required.
- This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended by the Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA); and the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA).
Job Standards: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions.)
To successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the incumbent must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Prefer general knowledge of city geography.
Physical Requirements: Position requires light lifting (5-20 pounds) two to three times a day, use of the telephone, and stationary work at a computer screen and keyboard. Incumbent will be required to sit for prolonged periods of time, type information into computer terminal while gathering and disseminating information over the telephone and/or computer screen.
Job Location: (Place where work is performed.)
Position operates in a standard office environment 95% of the time, incumbent may have to attend community events, recruitment fairs or dispatch from an off-site location, patrol car or communications trailer in an emergency.
Equipment: (Machines, devices, tools, etc., used in job performance.)
- Computer screen and terminal keyboard
- Radio console and foot pedal
- Multi-line telephone and TDD
All permanent full-time members of the Kansas City Police Department must reside within the Kansas City, Missouri city limits unless an exception has been granted by the Chief of Police.
Selected applicants must submit to a CRITICALL test, TABE test, polygraph, post-offer physical examination and drug screen.
Contact Mindy Davis at Mindy.Davis@kcpd.org to schedule an appointment. Applications will not be accepted without an appointment.