TITLE: Security Guard
ELEMENT OF ASSIGNMENT: Building Operations Unit
STARTING MONTHLY SALARY: $2,127/monthly
Job Objectives: (Purpose of the position.)
To observe and identify security/CJIS violations and report immediately. Direct vehicular traffic flow into/out of police headquarters building. Maintain the overall security of department facilities controlling all access. Coordinate response for critical incidents and/or terroristic threat. Facilitate an evacuation should it be needed.
Essential Job Functions: (Functions essential to attaining job objectives.)
- Provide overall security for department facilities, check visitor identification to ensure unauthorized personnel are not admitted to facilities, issue visitor passes to citizens to conduct police business. Perform lock-up duties such as securing stairwells, elevators, and other designated areas after normal business hours.
- Monitor and maintain the flow of vehicle traffic into and out of parking facilities.
- Monitor motor pool and unit vehicles; maintain vehicle use records; request maintenance when due or needed.
- Monitor fire alarm panel, video monitors, access/alarm reader monitors, and elevator operation. Seek assistance from officers in emergency situations.
- Answer telephone and respond to general questions from citizens providing excellent customer service.
- Maintain public areas around buildings with regard to litter and inclement weather.
- Conduct light maintenance such as changing light bulbs and moving items. Assist officers as needed.
- Maintain reliable and predictable attendance. Must have the ability to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Must have the ability to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Perform related duties as required.
- This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended by the Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA); and the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA).
Job Standards: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions.)
To successfully perform the essential functions of the position, the incumbent must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Experience in building security is preferred.
Incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license and have the skills and abilities to operate department vehicles within specified vehicle operating procedures.
Excellent communication and public interaction skills are necessary.
Position requires very heavy lifting (over 50 pounds) occasionally, heavy lifting (20 to 50 pounds) frequently, light lifting (5 to 20 pounds) regularly, seasonal snow removal duties, talking on the telephone, the ability to climb a ladder, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
Job Location: (Place where work is performed.)
Position operates in police headquarters and communications buildings as well as surrounding areas.
Equipment: (Machines, devices, tools, etc., used in job performance.)
- Portable Radio
- Police radio
All permanent full-time members of the Kansas City Police Department must reside within the Kansas City, Missouri city limits unless an exception has been granted by the Chief of Police.
Selected applicants must submit to a polygraph, post-offer physical examination and drug screen.
Contact Mindy Davis at Mindy.Davis@kcpd.org to schedule an appointment. Applications will not be accepted without an appointment.